If this is Paradise, I wish I had a lawn-mower. Ryan's blog, musings on transportation, Jersey City, transportation, sports and technology

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Lucy the Margate Elephant

It's come to my attention that some people might not know who or what Lucy the Elephant is. Since I have a picture of her so prominently displayed on the top of my blog, I thought I'd provide my own mini public service announcement on her behalf.

The long and short of it is Lucy is a 65 foot tall elephant-shaped building in Margate New Jersey (just south of Atlantic City). Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Lucy casts quite a shadow... even having a directional arrow pointed her way as far as Bordentown.

One of my favorite New Jersey icons, Lucy has quite a devoted following of caretakers and wellwishers... and even has her own official ragtime throwback theme song [mp3]. She's on my NJ must-see list, for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home