If this is Paradise, I wish I had a lawn-mower. Ryan's blog, musings on transportation, Jersey City, transportation, sports and technology

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Half a billion songs


iPod
Originally uploaded by pdcryan.
Apple is about to sell its 500 millionth song on the iTunes Music Store. Half a billion songs. (My two most recent contributions can be found here and here.)

Right now all of these songs are being played only on iPods, and apparently a whole lot of people (myself included) find the closed Apple-only system to be compelling enough to stay in. Of course, it would become even more compelling if the ITMS songs could easily be played on some other devices. Along those lines it has been rumored for awhile now that Apple will be having a music related press event this Thursday... maybe announcing the availability of an ITMS compatible phone... maybe something else? More devices to play iTunes music would be a good thing, in my book.

Here's one possibility from way out in left field: how about Apple buying Michael Jackson's Beatles collection and putting it online perhaps? That'd certainly be one way to settle their trademark infringement suit with Apple Records.

Of course we'll have to wait and see - but we're certainly due for something, even if it is just a phone.

In my opinion if Apple really wanted to break into the wireless market they should release iTunes not just for certain Motorola cell phones (like the current rumors point to), but for Palm and Symbian Series 60 handhelds as well. I know I'd buy more songs if I could also easily play them on my Treo, and if the hold up is the carriers - just release it as software. Most of these phones are platforms in themselves now, after all.

2 Comments:

At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you think all those iTunes songs are played only on iPods. Please people figured out how to crack that DRM awhile ago. Of course not that I endorse this in anyway (RIAA please don't invade my privacy, track me down, and then sue me for using music that I bought with my own money in and use how I wish non-commercially).

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger PDC Ryan said...

When I said "closed" system - I wasn't referring to DRM in general, but to Apple only allowing it's DRM'd songs to play on Apple hardware and software (as opposed to Windows media being playable to many approved devices from different manufactures).

There are lots of ways around DRM - everything from the big analog hole, to hymn to authorized applications like iMovie and iPhoto.

Most people, myself included, would much rather not have to go through removing the DRM. A big part of the iTunes success is the experience - end to end. I just want some more "ends" for listening, without having to bother with hacks and circuitous procedures (like importing an iTunes song into iMovie - then exporting it as a wav file, for example - to use it as a ringtone on my Treo).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home