If this is Paradise, I wish I had a lawn-mower. Ryan's blog, musings on transportation, Jersey City, transportation, sports and technology

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Disenfranchised

In case you didn't know today is the school board election in Jersey City. The polls are open from 2PM to 9PM. That's right... if you're working late or have class late, you're not voting.

Silly me, I assumed the polls were open for the same hours as in "regular" elections... I was wrong. I showed up at the main branch of the JC library on Jersey Avenue at 1:30... just enough time to vote and get to Newark for class at 1:55. Surprise surprise, nobody was there (quite literally nobody - no poll workers and nobody there to check out books - people really should be reading more).

A quick check of the election laws shows that 2-9 is perfectly legit... N.J.S.A. 19:15-2 requires that the polls for school elections be open from 5PM to 9PM and for any other time between 7AM and 9PM that the school board sees fit. So it's perfectly legit... albeit stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home