If this is Paradise, I wish I had a lawn-mower. Ryan's blog, musings on transportation, Jersey City, transportation, sports and technology

Saturday, May 28, 2005

AOL is dead, long live AOL

I have actually been a member of America Online since the early 90's. Despite having gotten a cable modem, outside email services and having no real need for AOL for close to 5 years now, I've stayed with them. Why? Because of the people. AOL's content was people. In its numerous online communicates folks gathered to help eachother out with problems, answer questions and to provide support. It was a very human experience, a neighborhood system for the internet. There could be 25 million users on AOL, but you could know actually know the couple of hundred around you in your little community.

Since the service began, these little areas were lead by "hosts" and "leaders" who orchestrated the chats and helped to answer questions. Despite what most people thought, these people were not employed by AOL... they were volunteers. Folks, like myself, who would devote a couple of hours a week to answer questions. What did these volunteers ask for in return? Nothing but a conduit for helping people.

For reasons I'll probably never understand, AOL no longer feels that it needs these unpaid volunteers. As of June 8th, the "community leader" program will be discontinued and with it, all that's left of AOL's communities. I'll no longer be answering questions about iMacs and printers and system panics on Sunday nights and I'll no longer get to help people with the cell phones and Palm Pilots on Mondays.

I'll miss AOL because I'll miss the people. I'll miss helping people and the people who helped me out when I had questions. I'll miss the gratitude of the person who we helped get their printer to print, or the lady who knows how to use her iPod now.

I won't be keeping AOL, because without the people, without the communities... there is no AOL. All that's left now is a bunch of outdated, proprietary software. Give me Safari or Firefox, AIM or iChat over AOL's junk any day. Why pay for A when B, C and D are MUCH better and free?

That is some mouth you've got, gift horse...

5 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Ryan,
Great post! I think this is a sad turn of events for AOL. :( Where is the community without the Community Leaders that helped build it? Without the CL presence, a lot of the chats and boards are going to be thrown to the wolves, so to speak.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi PDC Ryan, taking a little time today to see what Help People will send me to that is interesting. this post looks interesting and is a great read. Will also try Help People in my e-travels. Have a super day!

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi PDC Ryan, it’s late in the evening, quiet and peaceful. This is good computer time for me. I thought I would check on Help People and see what came up. this post is something that is interesting to many people. I will also spend a little time checking on Help People. Getting late, have a good evening.

 
At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi PDC Ryan, I am enjoying some idle time and looking to see what Increase Cash Flow will bring up. this post is certainly interesting and informative. Increase Cash Flow is a good word to bring into the conversation. Great post. Enjoy your day!

 
At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi PDC Ryan, it’s late in the evening, quiet and peaceful. This is good computer time for me. I thought I would check on People Helping People and see what came up. this post is something that is interesting to many people. I will also spend a little time checking on People Helping People. Getting late, have a good evening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home