If this is Paradise, I wish I had a lawn-mower. Ryan's blog, musings on transportation, Jersey City, transportation, sports and technology

Sunday, August 28, 2005

NJ Carnival of the Bloggers #15


Carnival-large


Carnival Number 15!

Welcome to the 15th weekly Carnival of the NJ Bloggers. We are baseball. We are peaches and tomatoes. We are beaches and concerts. We are politics and news. We are New Jersey blogging.

Being the who's-who and the what's-what of New Jersey blogging is all well and good... but this week, I thought I'd try to give us all a more visual picture of where we're writing from and what we're writing about. Using the newly released Google maps API I've tried to build on last week's innovative use of satellite imagery.

Please note that all locations are approximate or even in some cases complete guesses, based on either the subject of the post or the "location" of the blog itself. We're talking about towns and counties, not streets... so if you zoom in all the way on any one post you're not going to see anything that has the least bit to do with the entry... just enjoy the big picture.

I hope I got everybody... I sure did try. You'll have to do some zooming in Hudson and Essex counties to see all the posts... but nothing from Warren county, yet.

Click here to open Carnival Map!


Thanks everyone for blogging this week. I'm sorry that I couldn't post the map directly in my blog... Google just didn't want to cooperate. Also... if the map isn't loading in your browser, please let me know in the comments and I'll post the text-only version in the morning. I'll post a tutorial this week on how I did this... once I figure things out, it wasn't so hard (maybe somebody smarter than me can figure out how to mash up google maps and our RSS feeds to do this in real time...)

22 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger Sharon GR said...

Very cool, PDC Ryan.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Ms. Adams said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Ms. Adams said...

Ryan, the interactive map...excessively cool! I'll blog this after sunrise when I'm awake. :-)

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Xpatriated Texan said...

Thanks for the work. The map is a great idea.

XT

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally awesome . . . Heroic . . .You are a genius!

Sissy Willis
sisu

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ingenious!

With all this satellite imagery, future carnival hosts are going to have to get really tricky. Thermal imaging? Seismic activity during blogging periods? When it comes my time to host, maybe I'll have to gather MRIs from all the participants.

Who knew we had so many offshore bloggers?

Nice work.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way freakin' cool!

Graet job!

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just SO cool! Fantastic!

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

Wow, my first Carnival and its super cool! LOVE the map. Thanks for hosting!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Fausta said...

Excellent!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Karl said...

Great creativity! One of the best presentations of NJ Carnival of Bloggers I've seen.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Jack said...

That was an awesome idea. It worked very well. Were the people in the Atlantic on boats or did they not disclose their location?

- Jersey Perspective

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger PDC Ryan said...

Glad you guys liked how it turned out, thanks for the kind words.

As for the "off shore" posts - some had to do with non-NJ topics (Yemen comes to mind) on blogs that I couldn't pin down...

So if you're wondering... there is not floating aqua-world of bloggers off the coast of New Jersey (that I know of)

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My computer apparently lacks sufficient horsepower to open the map. I will take a look at it from the office tomorrow.

Based on the favorable comments, I am anxious to give it a look.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger nightfly said...

That is extraordinary. Well done. I never fail to be amazed by the ingenuity and technical know-how of the blog world.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I didn't get around to checking it until today, but it was SO worth the wait. Great job!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Pinterest Failures said...

Fun Blog--It is REALLY making me miss New Jersey (I moved to Ohio in April). At least I am going back to LBI for the week on Saturday!!!!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Gray Flannel Suit said...

Very nice work! Too bad I was too lazy to get in this week's. : (

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless Google maps!

Other than the folks who appear to be blogging out in the Atlantic Ocean, it appears that most of the Carnival's blogosphere parallels the state's "wealh belt." Draw your own conclusion over who's doing the blogging.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to Your visit!

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss/Ms California Galaxy 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home